Friday 28 September 2012

The Slip House on Grand Designs



I didn't manage to catch Grand Designs on Wednesday, but did manage to catch up yesterday between interview prep (I cant help but procrastinate!)

I was a little skeptical at the start, the bold, no holds barred juxtaposition of styles and materials didn't sit well with my own ideas of beautiful design, but I was soon to be converted!

Mary and Carls minimalist ideas essentially result in a beautiful, expertly crafted, simple building which is both functional and different. The glass cladding system which is used to hide the upper story and roof terrace changes the buildings appearance drastically from day to night. (Personally I think it looks its best after dark with a soft hue of light behind it)
I love the use of plywood (particularly in the kitchen), the polished concrete floors, the copious amounts of hidden storage and the little garden retreat in the middle of the city!
However, I still am not converted to the minimalist way of living, I like to surround myself with objects and things I collect from day to day, plus I'm just not that clean to keep it all looking so pristine!

I still need to venture out and check out the building in its raw glory!

Hx

Watch the program...
Check out some of Carl Turners other projects..


No comments:

Post a Comment